Saturday 27 July 2013

More butterflies

I hate to drone on but it has been stupendous here for butterflies this year compared to the last two summers. Assuming that the skippers I have seen are all Small Skippers ( and I am still reviewing that as one or two of the photos have me leaning towards an Essex Skipper but that is still to be confirmed) then we are at 15 species so far but it is the quantity rather than the diversity that is so impressive. I am a little concerned that a large number of meadows locally have been cut already due to the extended heat but here most of the fields will only be cut when the flowers have seeded and the butterflies have laid their eggs. For the record the species are Tortoiseshell, Orange Tip, Speckled Wood, Common Blue, Red Admiral, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Skipper, Marbled White, Large White, Comma, Small White, Gatekeeper, Green-veined White and Peacock. Pictured is a Small Skipper on Greater Bird's-Foot Trefoil.

No comments:

Post a Comment