Thursday 31 July 2014

New species - Southern Hawker

No picture I'm afraid but I am fairly certain that the dragonfly who seems to come round regularly to check on the slowly developing pond that I created this year is a Southern Hawker (Aeshna cycnea). I am working to rectify the basic design flaw of the pond in that it has not been cut into the slope enough so it is threatening to overflow before it covers the full allocated surface area or gets deep enough at the deep part. Having laid the liner and it being fairly full of water I am having to make adjustments by gradually digging out the uphill bank and building up the downhill bank. The alternative was to drain it but once I saw the amazing variety of life it has attracted already I was not willing to go that route. The hawker appears, does one or two slow circuits of the pond as if considering carefully whether it will be a suitable place to bring up a family and then clears off.

No comments:

Post a Comment