Thursday 12 May 2016

Wildlife gardening

I don't disapprove of the usual wildlife gardening suggestions which typically focus on leaving some areas wild or planting of species that are useful to native insects and birds. My approach is different though. On the small areas that we have that might be considered garden such as some grass between the back door and a retaining wall I just make sure that I tweak things in favour of any wildflowers that may find a home there. What surprises me is how little of a tweak is required. The photo shows a brilliant patch of Bugle (Ajuga reptans) enjoying a shady spot by the wall that is at the moment a hive of insect activity. All that was required was to leave uncut a couple of spikes of Bugle for a couple of years and hey presto! For me better than anything at Chelsea.

No comments:

Post a Comment