Wednesday 11 September 2013

More and more waxcaps

Still not a single waxcap in our 'waxcap' field but more are appearing in the field that hasn't until now presented any waxcaps or at least the field where I have not until this year recorded any waxcaps. I have been cutting the field today as part of the management programme and never having seen waxcaps here I did not cut early. Consequently I have been coming across pieces of chopped up waxcap which does make identification difficult. The photo is of two waxcap bits where I have made an ID. Firstly the Pink Waxcap a critical species of which I found at least four chopped up fruiting bodies. With it is Hygrocybe chlorophana (I think) or Golden Waxcap. I am less certain of two further species although one may be Hygrocybe citrinovirens (Lemon-green waxcap) as it definitely has a green tinge and the other is a deep orange waxcap I cannot ID from the pieces. Given that I had identified around nine species from our 'waxcap' field in 2011 and there are at least a further four species in another field this year, we are up to around 13 species in total. I look forward to adding to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment