Tuesday 30 September 2014

Waxcap round-up

I can, with a lot of difficulty identify most of the waxcaps I find here at The Beeches. I can also more or less manage the corals and spindles as they are limited in number and quite distinctive. The rest of the grassland fungi are more or less a mystery to me. I do look through the books but rarely do I get a conclusive ID. A book which just contained the 100 most common species found on old grassland would be a boon I'm sure but there doesn't seem to be one. Anyway I have been checking on the waxcaps seen this year and of the eleven species that we have here that I feel reasonably confident about the ID of, I have seen nine this year. The exceptions are the Parrot Waxcap (Hygrocybe psittacina) which I only found once in 2011 and the Scarlet Waxcap (H. coccinea) which has been plentiful ever since we moved in but has not appeared yet this year strangely. The nine that have appeared so far this year are Blackening Waxcap (H. conica), Meadow Waxcap (H. pratense), Butter Waxcap (H. ceracea), Golden Waxcap (H. chlorophana), Spangle Waxcap (H. insipida), Pink Waxcap (H. calyptriformis), Lemon-Green Waxcap (H. citrinovirens), Fibrous Waxcap (H. intermedia) and Snowy Waxcap (H. virginea). Of these there are normally quite a few Golden Waxcaps and Meadow Waxcaps but the ones that appeared in greater numbers this year so far are the Lemon-Green Waxcap and the Pink Waxcap. The Pink Waxcaps are mostly in one large group but the Lemon-Green Waxcaps are popping up as numerous individuals throughout the the three main fields. The photo above is a couple of these waxcaps. Another difference this year is the appearance of one or two waxcaps in the fourth field where I have not seen them before and of one Blackening waxcap in the garden area where again they have not been seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment